Wednesday, July 2, 2014

4th of July Family Traditions








When I was younger, my mom and dad always purchased a large box of fireworks and my brother, sister, and I had tons of fun watching them light the neighborhood sky!  There was no such thing as safe and sane fireworks when I was growing up!  In fact, without proper care and supervision, they were downright dangerous!  Thankfully, we never had any fires or accidents...just good memories of our family having fun!

As I got older, fireworks were banned for personal use due to fire and safety dangers.  So our family began packing up our lawn chairs and blankets and headed to the local city parade where we feasted on hot dogs and cotton candy, followed by a spectacular view of the City fireworks display!

Now that I have a family of my own, I want to create a fun memories and traditions for my kids to remember.  Our local fire department has an annual 4th of July pancake breakfast which we have not yet missed.  It's fun to get involved with the community and get to know your public service workers.  It's also been a great way to meet people from our neighborhood and make new friends!  

The city we live in now allows neighborhood "safe and sane" fireworks for personal use.  This was a nice surprise when we first moved in.  We always purchase our fireworks at our local school stand so part of the profits go directly towards our kids school.  We invite close friends and family over for an afternoon full of sun, fun, and barbecue with american food selections such as bbq chicken, potato salad, corn on the cob, and apple pie!  Following our feast, we gather in the driveway and front yard, light a fire in the outdoor firepit, grab our blankets, and do what we did when we were kids!...Light the fireworks!!

This 4th of July routine has become our new family tradition that I'm sure my kids will reminisce about when they get older!  What are your 4th of July family traditions?  I would love to hear about them!

I hope you all have a fun and safe 4th of July!

xoxoxo,

Hayley 

FOLLOW ME:
San Francisco Bay Style  (links on site):

No comments :