Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Our Memorial Day Traditions



Featured: 
This red gingham ruffled off the shoulder top (other cute red gingham tops found here, here, & here)
These basket woven slide sandals (similar options here, here, & here
These denim shorts (similar here, here, & here)
These red Sunglasses (similar here, here, and here)
Red gingham lid mason jars found here - perfect for summer barbecues or outdoor picnics!


Can you believe it's almost the end of May and Memorial Day is this weekend?  Memorial Day is a federal holiday in the United States for remembering the American soldiers who died while serving in our country's armed forces.  This is an important observance personally for my family as both my parents were in the US Marine Corps.  My dad served during the Korean War in the early 1950's enrolling straight out of high school and my mom was a Reserve Marine stationed in San Diego. 

When we were growing up, my dad didn't like to speak too much about the war and what he personally went through.  However, I've always admired his strength and courage at such a young age to decide to join the armed forces to defend and protect our country.  Memorial Day is also a time to honor those that have served (our veterans) and those who are currently serving.  My greatest appreciation, respect, and gratitude goes out to all those brave men and women (past and present).  Both my mom and dad passed away several years ago and were laid to rest with honors at the beautiful Sacramento Valley National Cemetery.  I miss them dearly.    


What are your plans for this Memorial Day?  One of our current family traditions is to visit the Sacramento Valley National Cemetery on days of observance to place American flags on all the soldiers graves.  We do the same in December with holiday wreaths!  My whole family gets involved including my kids (the grandchildren).  We  typically drive up early and have breakfast before the ceremony.  This is a great way to volunteer in your community and a personal way I remember my mom and dad and also give thanks to the many countless other military service men and women from the past.

When we get home from the Veteran sponsored ceremony, we lighten the mood with a little outdoor fun in the sun and barbecue!  I usually host at my house but everyone chips in to help with the food prep and clean up.  The weather for this coming Memorial Day is expected to be bright and sunny in the low 80's!  That's perfect outdoor weather to enjoy a little sunshine and some good food with friends and family!

Gingham is the quintessential print for spring and summer!  Red and white gingham reminds me of our Memorial Day barbecues with my family growing up.  My dad would mange the grill (usually making barbecued chicken, grilled vegetables, and corn on the cob in the husk marinated with butter and his secret spices, while my mom made her infamous baked beans, ambrosia salad, and apple or peach pie with fruit she picked directly from the fruit trees in our backyard.  

I really love this this red and white gingham off the shoulder top and it would be a great option to wear for our family and friends get together. (it also comes in black gingham).  Here are a few other darling red and white gingham tops I found online!  


I love to wear open toe sandals when the weather gets warmer and these woven weave slides literally go with everything! I found a lot of similar styles and price points in the shopping links below.  I really love the woven basket weave style.  How cute would any of these look with a flowy maxi dress and straw hat?  These ones are super cute and currently on sale for $49.99! Check out more of my picks below!




I love to wear something that's a little patriotic (red, white, and blue) on Memorial Day so blue denim shorts are a great choice, plus they're so American!  All of the shorts I included in the links below are less than $20 and most are currently on sale for $15!  That's seriously a steal!  I'm wearing this pair and I love the fit!  I wear these all the time which in my book counts as a closet staple!  Shop them all below and find your right pair!



Last but not least, you'll want a good pair of sunglasses while you're outside enjoying the festivities and parties this weekend!  Most of you know that I love to have a little fun with sunglasses wearing bright colors and/or funky styles!  I'm wearing these red sunglasses which are under $20!  There are really endless possibilities and I think they really make any outfit more fun with color!  Also, I recently picked up these red gingham mason jars!  They come in a pack of six with red gingham lids and striped straws, a carafe, and a caddy!  You can use them for serving lemonade, alcohol, beer, water, punch, etc.  I may even throw in a little rose wine and sip it from the straw! 😃  



I hope you all have a beautiful weekend and Happy Memorial Day!  If you haven't had a chance to sign up for my San Francisco Bay Style newsletter you can subscribe here!  It's a great way to connect with all of you about new posts, great sales you don't want to miss, Q&A on various fashion, beauty, home decor, and travel topics, and so much more!  Don't worry, I won't overcrowd your inbox!  Also, don't forget you can shop all of the looks from my blog on my shop page!

xoxoxo,
🌞🌞🌞
Hayley


Recent Posts:





No comments :