Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Living In Color


One of my co-workers said to me today, "you wear color really well!"  I assumed she meant this as a compliment, meaning "I love the bright and vibrant colors you wear every day".  The fact of the matter is, I love to wear colorful clothing, lipstick, nail polish, accessories, etc.  One of the easiest ways to change your mood and mindset is simply by changing the colors you choose to wear.   For example, red, orange, and yellow have been shown to evoke a broad range of strong emotions, while colors like blue, purple and green can have a calming effect.

If you're drawn to wearing basic neutrals day in and day out, you may be apprehensive about adding brighter colors to your wardrobe. Don't get me wrong, I love a classic neutral look and often opt for this simple and classy style.  However, if you want to add more color to your life, it’s not hard to work a broad range of shades into your wardrobe via accessories and see an effect. Even a strategic addition of colorful accents can help you self-soothe, or feel more powerful and confident.





A good way to get started for a color "newbie" is to begin with a neutral base.  My favorite neutral base options include a comfortable pair of black leggings, distressed denim, white skinny jeans, black shorts, and/or a blue denim skirt,  These neutral base options can be worn with any color and I consider them part of my closet staples.  

Once you have selected your neutral base, the sky is the limit with color!  In the summertime, I like to wear bright bold colors and neon such as this fun geometric print sleeveless top.  I love the crochet trim detail and the longer length is perfect to wear with leggings.  In the fall, my color wardrobe generally switches to warmer hues inspired by nature...mustard yellow, cranberry, rust, orange...the changing leaves of autumn.  In the wintertime, I prefer beautiful jewel tones such as red, electric blue, hot pink, purple, etc.  Last but not least, spring is a great time to break out soft pastels,,,blush pink, soft yellow, lavender, and baby blue, to name a few.

Keep in mind, your neutral base can also be what you wear on top.  A crisp white blouse, a black peplum top, or a chambray button up are great options when you're looking to wear a pair of colorful printed shorts, pants, skirts, and/or colored denim.  

Once you have overcome the fear of adding more color to your wardrobe, you'll be ready to graduate to the next level and begin color mixing and accessorizing.  I have a few tried a true color mix favorites that I would love to share in a future post!  Until then...

Live Colorfully,

Hayley






(all photos shot by @sawdeyphotography)

SHOP:

No comments :